The Mulgrave Football Club was founded in 1925 by a group of local farmers, with the original ground being in Police Road. The club was later relocated in Garnett Road, where it still operates.
Charles Baker, a foundation member was the Club's inaugural president. Another foundation member was Tom Baines, in recognition of his contribution to the Mulgrave Football Club, the Senior Best and Fairest Trophy has been the "Tom Baines Memorial Trophy". The Mulgrave Football Club has had five generations of his family playing, sponsoring or administrating the club.
The Mulgrave Football Club has generally been affiliated with the South Eastern Suburbs by playing in the Croydon-Ferntree Gully Football League, which then became the Eastern Districts Football League and recently changed to the Eastern Football League.
Success came very quickly to the Club with its first premiership in 1927. They then had to wait another 25 years before they won again in 1952. Another three premierships came in 1954, 1956 and 1960, with another 10 years went by before premierships came in 1970, 1971 and 1979. The club competed in several Grand Final losses in the 2000's. This period of premiership drought was broken after 31 years with a Senior Division 2 premiership in 2010. The 2010 team defeated Bayswater on September 12, 2010. Captained by Brad Fowler and Coached by Hayden Stanton.
With the introduction of the Reserves in 1968 success did not take long, winning five premierships in a row from 1975 -1979. After twenty years without any appearance the Reserves won another three premierships in a row from 1999-2001.
Over the years the Club has ran Under 16's, Under 17's and Under 18 teams.
Premierships have been won with the Under 18's in 1976 and 1979 and like the senior team had to wait until 1996 and 1997 for their next premiership.